Sunday, August 18, 2013

it's been a week.

Okay, so it has technically been over a week since we've been in Ohio, but here are all of the pictures that I promised you all. This post is a little picture heavy, so forgive me...or don't forgive me, if you don't like looking at pictures, then perhaps this will be boring to you. I have mixed feelings about being gone a week already...but we can talk about that later.



To start, our bedroom...of course, Max had to make an appearance as well. This is such a quiet and relaxing for me. As of now, it's pretty simple, a few of my favorite pictures and lot's of natural sunlight. 



I wasn't planning on posting a picture of my closet, but for those of you who saw my previous closet, this space is HUGE for me. While I still struggle with room, it's much better than the shoe closet I was previously given, so I can't really complain. There are a lot of higher shelves in here, which are great for storing things that I don't need just yet, but I need to get a little step ladder as the shelves are much higher than I can reach.
 Ladies and gents, if you visit, you can rest you eyes in this dreamy room. This has also doubled as our own little record shop for now. We have yet to find a good piece of furniture to hold our records so we're keeping them here until we find something that we like.
 Not that you need to know what our bathroom looks like, but I figured why not right?
 Ah, the breakfast nook. I feel quite spoiled with this place. It has allowed us to get away with not having a dining room table and will comfortably seat four, and can, if needed, seat six. I was really excited to hang a couple of my favorite vintage pieces that my Aunt Tammy gave me a while back. She graciously gave me two magazines from the late 1800s that I was able to frame. In addition, there is a set of two lady paintings (below) that were featured in the magazine. They are such neat trinkets to have, and I am so excited to finally hang them. You can't see it, but there is a picture of someone in my family in France being interviewed in front of the Eiffel tower also. My mom had actually used this picture to accompany a paper she wrote in high school on France (which I also have). I really enjoy having these family things.

One thing that I truly love about our apartment is the amount of natural light that we have. There are so many windows in every room that we pretty much leave open at all times so we always have great sunlight throughout the day. I love our kitchen...unique and eclectic. A really fun fact is that we actually have a laundry chute in our kitchen. It would be really cool to use it, but when we looked around last week, we could never figure out where it came out....so for now we don't use it.


I've always dreamt of having a great office space, and we have that now. We were able to get some prints from our great friend Patrik before we left, so it's really nice to have a small slice of Tennessee with us. When we were decorating, I wanted to make sure that there were homey pieces in every room. From art made by friends, to photographs of our friends and family, to posters of our favorite concerts--it really makes the space feel like home, and makes me at least, feel right at home. 



And lastly, my favorite place in this entire house-- our living room. I've never had a living room that I wanted to "live" so much in. While I truly love every space, this is perhaps my favorite. It houses some of the most memorable times that Logan and myself have had the past almost seven years. In addition, everything is just so plush and comfortable. We probably spend most of our time here, and it is so nice to come here at the end of the day and just sink into the couch, cover up with our ginormous throw and watch something on netflix.


So here's where we are after a week--and completely unpacked at that!  Being in this great space, that we've truly made our own makes it feel like we are much closer to home than we actually are. It definitely hasn't been the easiest week, so having such a relaxing space does take the edge off.

It all truly started when we woke up on moving day. As luck would have it, I stepped on my glasses, snapping them in two. Luckily I had a crappy back-up pair that got me through to today, which meant my new glasses arriving! Our next mishap occurred when we didn't hear the gas company on Saturday morning, and so we were without hot water until this past Wednesday. Never underestimate the power of a hot shower, friends. When we finally got our washing machine on Friday, the cheap-o dryer we had purchased from the previous tenants crapped out on us after only drying one load of clothes. Luckily, we have a laundromat that is also a bar--so while our clothes dried, Logan and I had a nice brew, played a game of pool (which was quite comical because I am horrible at pool), and actually scored some free pizza.

So as you can imagine, it's been kind of a roller-coaster week. However, we are still alive and kicking, and if none of this would have happened, I probably would have been fearful for what was about to happen. At this point, I really enjoy it up here. I'm getting excited as the week ahead holds orientation, meeting with the professor I will be working with--kind of getting my feet planted.  I've had my hard moments though too. I've found myself really missing everyone back at home. It's funny though, it seems as if every moment I find myself getting homesick, I also find myself being lifted up by my support system. I am humbled by knowing that they are here to support me every step of the way. I am so thankful for my friends.

So, while the going may sometimes get tough, I also know that I am on this grand adventure in this part of my life, and that I need to enjoy every moment of it. Tonight I am doing so with take out from a place Logan and I discovered, and I can't wait.

Happy week friends!
Listening to: Troubleman by Electric Guest

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks really great Lovey! I love you guys and Max too. Thanks for sharing. I read all the post and hopefully I am doing this correctly. I have never posted on a blog before. Such a wonderful idea and it helps so much to be able to see where you live, etc.. Take care my love.

    ReplyDelete